Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sometimes you just need a Biscuit Pizza.

When Junior was born, I swore (a lot, and then I promised) that I wouldn't be one of those crazy scream at the school moms. After all, I was a more enlightened mom, and it's a more enlightened time. Right?

There are days I actually look like this.

Yeah, it doesn't always look the way we imagine.

If I ever went out in public like this, my
Mamaw's ghost would find and murder me.

So I've spent the last week flailing at the school. Well, there goes that ideal. Junior's getting a dose of modern discipline (no electronics this afternoon) to help us solve a little power struggle, as children are wont to have, and on Monday, I'm going to be a raging wreck of humanity.

Well, my friends, we have a rule on the Home Front: Don't post a problem unless you have a fix.

Nate Ford is my guru.


Well, when Junior and I did the week's shopping, sure I had plenty of healthy meals planned, the three day chicken, beans, and spaghetti casserole, but sometimes you look into the stressed face of your little poppet (not the one you keep in the underpants drawer, just in case, I mean your child) and say "How about Biscuit Pizzas?" I watch as Junior's face lights up and my mom energy is rekindled.

Of late I've found that Junior loves helping me cook. If I am forced to home school him, I will keep this in mind. So I grab the ingredients I'm missing, which are only a couple of things because the 40s menu keeps most basics in stock so I can almost pull meals out of thin air, and we go home where Junior gets to de-stress and that makes me feel calmer too.

Of course tonight I'm going to go on a cleaning binge because a clean environment makes me feel calm and cleaning is a great manual labor to let your mind rest for a few minutes. Also, I have to clean up before the dam breaks and lets loose the fornicating creativity monkeys discussed in an earlier post.

 Run, dude!

But if cooking is your thing and you want a simple item that even most toddlers can help with, here's the biscuit pizza recipe I use. It is actually pretty ration friendly, however, it is not 40s era appropriate, so I thought I'd leave it here:

Biscuit ingredients:
  • 2c sifted all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Double Action baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • Favorite pizza seasonings (2-3 Tbsp)
  • 4 Tbsp Shortening
  • 2/3 c Milk soured with 2 Tbsp white vinegar
    • Sift flour before measuring, then measure.
    • Sift dry ingredients together except for seasonings, add after sifting.
    • Prepare milk. 
    • Cut in shortening, then add milk until dough is... um... doughy.
    • For pizzas, turn out onto floured countertop and press or roll out until it is roughly 1/2" thick and cut with round biscuit cutter. Alternatively, you can roll into balls and press out individually, leaving a little crust on the edges.
  • Pizza sauce
  • Favorite ingredients
  • Pizza cheese
  • Helper
    • As age appropriate, apply sauce and prepare ingredients. Young children are experts and placing cheese in the general vicinity of the pizzas and older children can be employed in artful arranging of ingredients.
    • Bake on lightly greased pan in preheated oven at 400 degrees and cook until cheese just begins to brown. (I never time it, sorry.)