Thursday, October 17, 2013

Raining and Complaining... and tarts!

Welcome again to the Thursday rant. It's been a--how do I put this--

Edvard Munch understands.

It's been this kind of a week. Plus side, I've been cooking more. That's one of the most important lessons that I've learned in studying the homefront. Just because you're out of everything doesn't mean you can't make dinner. Tonight, I made cheese dumplings in tomato sauce, and tonight I'm thinking I might use the rest of the cheese to make sausage and cheese breakfast pastries (to cook early tomorrow morning). Last night I made jam tarts which were VERY sweet, especially after the reduced sugar of the ration cooking I've been doing, but as was suggested I might try using a sugar free preserve next time, but also not attempt to make them a breakfast food.

Great dress, needs mouse slippers, though.

Home schooling has hit a few road bumps. Not the least of which is a lack of communication between the school and me. Junior's enjoying it, though. I've not seen him have this much fun in a couple of months.


Playing in the rain was HIS idea, not mine.
(I just told him where the better puddles were.)

I'm actually less stressed than I was. I mean, no more sitting in the rolling death fog while I wait to rescue him, no more worrying about notes from school, no more nervous tatting.

Breaks my heart just thinking about it.

Not that I've stopped work. I am taking a short hiatus from the tablecloth to work on the worlds most foppish handkerchief. I'll post photos in my regular google feed later.

Overall, I've not been doing my utmost to improve morale on the Home Front. Part of this is getting everything set up for home schooling, part of it is just general malaise. Okay, I'm not saying I need to be Miss Sally Sunshine all the time, but I need to do a better job of sucking it up.

I'd like to see Twilight Sparkle do this some time.

So that's my goal for the next week. To stop focusing so hard inward when there's work to be done, a family that needs my attention, schooling that needs doing. As we remind ourselves here on the home front: