Thursday, September 18, 2014

Keeping busy.

It's been a roller coaster couple of weeks here at the Homefront. Some good things have happened, though they have been somewhat overshadowed by rendering unto Caesar, and we've had a lot of rendering to do as we move from five separate paychecks to one decent one.

Close enough.

This being said, we're crawling out from under a debt rock, and this is actually a good thing. I will be thrilled when the only thing we owe money on is the house.

Maybe one or two other small things.

Anyway, I'm getting used to packing lunches for everyone in the mornings, though I admit to getting in a bit of a rut, as it can be hard to plan creativity ahead. More importantly, Thursdays lunches have to be special: for Mr. Smith, extra cute, for Junior, extra sturdy. Mr. Smith eats lunch with other professors, and loves to show off adorable bento lunches, because inside he's still a high schooler, and this is what we get for watching too much high school romance anime. I'm still looking for pickled plums though.

The world needs more hot dog octopi.

Anyway, on Thursdays, the boy goes hiking around the forest with his teachers. So for him, lunch has to be full of yummy things and sturdy enough to hold together as he treks through the forest with his backpack. I wish I had pictures.

I'm pretty sure it looks like this.

In other news, we are gearing up for fall yard work. Pruning is going to be the name of the game for the most part, at least here at the beginning of autumn. Once the snakes are definitely hiding down nice warm holes, it will be time to cut back the growth around the walnut trees. I'd very much like them to put their energy into making walnuts and not new sprigs and sprouts, but they are stubborn.

And a little mean.

I do have to admit that I've fallen a bit behind in my usual house cleaning. I'm the first to admit that I'm no Suzie Homemaker, but all those little things I do that aren't cleaning the pee from under the toilet are, I'm sorry to say, a bit more in need of my attention right at the moment.

I swear this isn't all I do.