Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Happy New Year!

I know, I haven't posted since before Christmas, it's been super busy, so here are lots of pictures to make up for it. It's long, so grab a coffee.

 My baking can boldly go
where no baked goods
have gone before.

Totally not a fruitcake.
Okay, maybe a fruitcake.
It's really spicy though,
and made from a British ration recipe.

My little artist, keeping busy while I cook.

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake.
(From a mix. I'm not insane.)
I used this to make a GF yule slab.

Sugared mint leaves and raspberries.
(Well, okay, maybe a little insane.)

Making a sponge cake from a wartime recipe.
In the end, it actually almost overflows my mixing bowls.
I would love to have a matched set of about 4-5 2qt mixing bowls.

 Sponge cake in a jelly roll pan.

Spread with whipped cream and rolled up.
This is the Yule log skeleton.

Finished product, though the ganache
was not cooled at the time of this picture.
Neither Ganache nor whipped cream
were ration friendly unless I had been
saving my ingredients and points
for months.

These are gluten free popovers made from scratch.
It was not, as Jet Propulsion would say,
"A delicious failure."
It was just a failure. A pretty gross one.

Christmas day shenanigans.

Hubby and his favorite new shirt.

Santa brought a new TV,
So I set up a new video game/media center.

That glowing streak comes from the eyes of a troll
hubby and I have wanted since before we met.
The store where we bought our trolls was closing
due to new ownership of the mall,
so we bought him with our Christmas money.

This is a pie bird.
They have been used for 2-300 years,
and mine worked quite well to ensure the bottom
crust of my chicken pot pie was done.

I didn't know this was a thing
until after I saw Frozen.
I thought about getting it,
now I might make it when it snows
just so I can serve it hot.

My living room still looks like this.
Kids had a great holiday,
but I foresee the declutter tornado coming through
soon to clear out a bunch of unused stuff.

Hope you enjoyed the photos. I'll get back to my regular posting next week when the boys are back at school and I fight to get my routine back in place.